Sunday, March 16, 2014

St. Thomas Aquinas on Christ's Presence Among Us

Christ is with us in many ways. 

(1) First as a brother by his participation in our nature, (Cant. 8:1) "O that you were like a brother to me, that nursed at my mother’s breast! If I met you outside, I would kiss you."

(2) Second as a spouse by the bond of love, (Jn 14:15) "If you love me, you will keep my commandments."

(3) Third as a shepherd by the comfort of interior consolation, (Rev 3:20) "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and him with me."

(4) Fourth as a savior by the help of his defense (Jer. 30:10) "Then fear not, O Jacob my servant, says the Lord, nor be dismayed, O Israel: for lo, I will save you from afar."

(5) Fifth as a leader by the example of his works (Ex. 32:12) "The Lord alone did lead him."

---

Source: St. Thomas Aquinas, Commentary on the Prophet Isaiah, 7.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ad hominem or deemed offensive by the moderator will be subject to immediate deletion.