Thursday, September 12, 2013

Time and Healing

"One Day in History" by Andrea Gjestvang. A collection of photographs of the survivors and victims of the shooting at the Utøya summer camp on July 22, 2011.

Andrea said the following: "We tend to forget survivors, as their condition is often not known until the news cycle is over. Or we assume that time [equals] healing. My goal with this work is to remind people, make them think and feel and want to understand. Even if time goes by and new stories hit the front pages of the newspapers, the mental and visible scars of the survivors of such terrible incidents remain. I want to show that grief (but also healing) comes in different shapes. These youths share the same experiences and to a large extent similar reactions, but the process is individual. Thinking of the terror attack of July 22nd, I want people to remember these youths and not the face of the terrorist.”


---

"The False Hope of Time"

[Originally written on February 26. 2011.]

Every Christian has heard of the virtue of hope. St. Paul famously says in 1 Corinthians 13:13, “So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” Perhaps most Christians know or at least intuit that we should and must place our hope in God: “I lift up my eyes [….] From whence does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth” (Revised Standard Version, Ps. 121.1-2). Here I would like to examine a curious phrase that sometimes comes up, to the effect of, “Time heals all.” I think this phrase is misleading and ultimately anti-Christian. Christians should instead recall that our hope is in Christ, who overcame death through the Resurrection. So, too, do we hope to join Christ in the glory of Heaven and eternal beatitude.

Consider what is commonly meant when the phrase “time heals all” is used. We may say it with the good and praiseworthy intention of consoling a hurt friend. We may say it to ourselves when we look upon grim situations or have suffered considerably. The intention is well meaning, undoubtedly, but when we resort to this intellectualizing, we place our hope not in God but in ourselves.

Let me break up the sentence above. First, we subtly intellectualize the situation when we say, “Time heals all.” By intellectualize, I mean a psychological defense mechanism where we focus on abstract, intellectual concepts in order to minimize or hide our feelings in reaction to some event. An example of this may be that after a devastating earthquake, one focuses on the engineering factors of damaged buildings. Another example could be where after being diagnosed with a terminal illness, one learns all that one can about that illness, all the while keeping the mind focused away from the psychological pain that the illness causes. When one says that “time heals all,” one understands that by waiting long enough, the event will fall so far into the past that our memories of it will be fuzzy (“Oh, upset about that? I barely even remember what you said to me! Of course I forgive you.”) and that the hurt the event causes us will be hidden once the threat of pain moves smoothly into the past as we move forward (“Don’t worry about it. It’s nothing.” Nothing, as in, I have new worries and new pains). And in all of this activity, we will forget that these new pains and hurts will be repeated and slightly-varied manifestations of the same deeper, unresolved, emotional block.

One girl spoke of how she would say to herself when she was away from a loved one, “Well, it’s really only a week. And a week is seven days. And seven days consist of hours, which have minutes. I can go minute by minute, hour by hour.” She can “rationalize” the situation by focusing on an abstract concept and thus hide her emotional pain while consciously telling herself that she’s making sense of it all and hoping that time will bring her the best. This intellectualizing is an idyllic illusion at best and terribly paralyzing at worst. As an example, one may think of “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” by T.S. Eliot: “There will be time, there will be time / [….] Time for you and time for me, / And time yet for a hundred indecisions, / And for a hundred visions and revisions, / Before the taking of a toast and tea” (26, 31-34). One of my favorite parts is: “For I have known [the possible decisions] all already, known them all:— / Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons, / I have measured out my life with coffee spoons” (49-51). Perhaps even we may, like Prufrock, meticulously intellectualize a situation in order to avoid the deep emotional pain that lurks in us.

But in placing our hope in time, we ultimately are placing our hope in ourselves. For although things change independently of us, there must be a rational mind that perceives that change and makes sense of it in order to have the abstract concept of “time.” We consciously place our hope in a human-made schema, and for some reason we expect that in the midst of all this change, things will ultimately turn out for the better. How could time heal us unless it meant that with the passing of time, further traumas did not come as well? How could time heal unless it meant that we could continue along with our lives after a single bump in the road? Why do we think there will not be any more bumps? In placing our hope in a human construction, we are psychologically placing our hope in the human mind. We expect that we can pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps, that we can resolve our own issues. Ever since the Fall, the majority of humanity has still not realized the folly of this path. And we have been paying for it dearly ever since.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my rock in whom I take refuge [….] In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears [….] He reached down from on high, he took me; he drew me out of mighty waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me; for they were too mighty for me [….] He brought me out into a broad place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me [….] Who is a rock besides our God?” (Ps. 18.2, 6, 16-17, 19, 31b)

What, then, do we do? Hope in God. In times of distress, turn to God in humble prayer. “My God, I am [hurt, offended, angry, betrayed, sad, broken, lonely, depressed, etc.] Without you I don’t know what I will do. I need your help and guidance. Give me strength to get through this and grace to be healed of all pain. Without your mercy and protection, I will perish. Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit. Help me to love those who have hurt me, not expecting anything in return, but hoping always that you will convert them and bring them to authentic love for you and salvation. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.”

Let God work to transform your pain into courage and perseverance, healing you and those who have hurt you. While you carry your Cross, remember Easter day and Jesus’ glorious Resurrection and hope in the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ad hominem or deemed offensive by the moderator will be subject to immediate deletion.