Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Mystics on Self-Deception Regarding "Little Things"

"I have seen this in myself, for from time to time I have found many natural desires destroyed within me which had previous seemed to me very good and perfect; but when they were thus removed I saw that they had been depraved and faulty, and in accordance with those spiritual and bodily infirmities which, being hidden from me, I had not supposed myself to possess. And this is why it is necessary to attain such a subtlety of spiritual vision, in order that all which at first appears to us perfection may in the end be known as imperfections, robberies, and woes: all this is clearly revealed in that mirror of truth, pure love, in which all things appear distorted which to us had seemed upright."

Source: St. Catherine of Genoa, The Life and Doctrine of St. Catherine of Genoa, ch. 24.

"The disorder of our self-love [pride], of our attachment to our own will is no small thing. It does not require mountains of enormous sins to block the course of this rapid stream [of God’s grace], this ocean of love; the sands of our defects, which we think trivial, but which are not, suffice to do so."

Source: St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi, quoted in Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene, Divine Intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments ad hominem or deemed offensive by the moderator will be subject to immediate deletion.